Saturday, February 19, 2011

R837

When you hear the word conqueror,what do you think of? I think instantly of great armies defeating lesser ones. I think of old empires sweeping the nations and putting anything to rest that they didn't like. I think of a single person overcoming any obstacle in their path to whatever glory they search for.

In Romans 8(probably one of the coolest chapters of the Bible,in my opinion):37,Paul says..."No,in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." Soak that up for a second. Take the visual you have when you hear that word,then add to it. Paul simply puts, with God on our side,and with His love,we are MORE than able to conquer. Whether it be an addiction,a problem,a goal you're trying to achieve...with God,you can more than conquer it.

To be honest,I read the Bible a lot as a little kid because I was the strongest I've ever been with the Lord when I was 8,but didn't start reading it again(genuinely out of my own desire) until about 2009. I had just gotten through a really rough patch of alcoholism and girls and the whole 9 yards. I had met a girl who loves the Lord dearly with all of her heart,and one day she shared a verse with me that sparked my interest to start reading again. It was Romans 8:28 (For we know that all things work together for good for those who love God according to His will.) That's a great verse to hear after a long time of not being close with Him. Knowing that no matter what happens,whether it be of sin or from God,He has allowed it work in a positive way for you if you love Him. Pretty epic to think,huh?

That one verse caused a burning desire to read more. I first started in this chapter of course because I know it had some pretty powerful stuff going on in it. Then it eventually grew to the rest of the Bible,devotionals and anything in Barnes & Nobles "Christian Inspiration" section,(Check out Donald Miller!). Anyways,this is one chapter I read constantly,but mostly the first verse I spoke of (Rom 8:37).

I don't know about you,but usually anything encouraging is a great thing to read. If you're depressed,angry,sad,lonely,whatever it may be;something uplifting is always a good start. This verse,should jazz you. You should read this,and want to go to the gym,or run a marathon up hill,or win a battle over something in your life. This verse caused me to want to overcome obstacles in my life that were holding me back from any beneficial growth in my life. To know that God says,with Him,we are more than a conqueror...that should release anything you hold onto or holds onto you and break free from it! You know how people talk with their hands to emphasize something?I'm doing that while typing right now,that's how much impression it leaves on me to go and win something over. Like the Oregon Ducks Football slogan "Win The Day"! Imagine Paul saying that back in the day,because he was.

Take this verse to heart. Know that God is fighting for you. He's jealous of you. He wants anything that blocks a straight path between you and Him gone. Conquer whatever that may be today,and know that He loves you dearly and wants nothing more than to be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment